***NOTICE - My blog has moved. You can continue to find my blog postings over at www.tylerrobbinsfitness.com ***

Monday, May 21, 2012

Day 30 - Exercise when sick?

 
Tread carefully when you are sick. The general rule I tend to use is if your symptoms occur above the neck, then you are probably ok to do some sort of workout. I find that to get the blood moving a bit and get the sweat flowing, I feel better afterwards.

Keep in mind, however, this should not be a strength or endurance building workout. You should allow your body’s resources to be solely focused on fighting your infection!

This blog comes at a good time (or bad time, depending on how you look at it), because I came down with a head cold the other day. I have done some light exercise while being sick, but for the most part, I have taken it easy to allow my body to recover.

I see a lot of folks who feel as though they need to 'push through' and exercise, even when they are sick, in order to maintain momentum, or they feel as though they may lose their fitness 'gains'.

Think of things this way. Health and fitness should be considered an ultra-marathon throughout your life. You should make healthy eating and exercise part of your full-time job, for the rest of your life. Over than many days, weeks, months, and years, do you think a few days off here or there are going to make any difference in the larger picture?

On the other hand, if you exercise too hard while sick, you may prolong your illness or potentially even injure yourself as you simply are not 100%.

Take breaks when needed! 

Quote of the day:
"The only thing in life achieved without effort is failure."
-Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment