***NOTICE - My blog has moved. You can continue to find my blog postings over at www.tylerrobbinsfitness.com ***

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Day 89 - Grow Younger Every Day Step 6: Spend Less Than You Make


Step 6 is taking a short step away from traditional health and fitness tips. Although monetary matters are not entirely related to your physical health and fitness, they are far more involved than most people think.

More often than not, choices made by individuals are either based on how much money they make or do not make. I am not a financial planner, so I am not here to discuss what you should or shouldn't do with your money, that is everyone's individual choice.

What I am going to try and ask you to do, however, is try and curb your spending as much as possible. Debt is one road that, when traveled down, usually ends up causing mental and potentially physical pain.

I understand that not everyone has equal opportunity in this world, I really do. There can be quite large, almost insurmountable differences between those who have and those who have not. But sticking with the theme that you should try and control as much of what you can in your life, I think your best option when it comes to money is to spend less than what you make.

Again, there are times when shit happens and you have to spend your money. Car maintenance, home payments, bills, health spending, etc. These types of things are (for the most part) out of your control, however. What I am referring to is those times when you see that fancy new smartphone, or the "great deal" on new flat screens.

If you really wish to buy something, save for it! I promise you that by the time you save up your money for something that you wish to purchase, that time will give you a better idea of whether you truly do want that item, or it was just going to end up being an 'impulse buy'.

In my honest opinion, I feel many people buy luxury items out of impulse to fill a certain void in their lives. Whether they are dealing with some sort of emotional issue, or they wish to mask the feelings of something else, impulse shopping gives that specific 'high' that lifts the spirits and makes you feel good.

Also, you may begin to better evaluate your life and your priorities. I find that, for myself at least, healthy eating and staying active is what makes me fell fulfilled and happy. Spending time with my family and making them happy is definitely top priority for me, but leading a healthy lifestyle and therefore encouraging others is also high up on that list.

Unfortunately, far too many people dig themselves into deep holes of debt, throwing away countless gobs of cash in interest when it is unnecessary. Next time you wish to go shopping, just think to yourself, "Do I have the money for this?" If so, then ask yourself, "Do I really need this (insert item here), and will this item enrich my life for the better?" You could potentially save yourself a fair bit of money just by taking a step back and analyzing your thoughts first.

Quote of the day:
"Contrary to the opinion of many people, leaders are not born. Leaders are made, and they are made by effort and hard work."
~ Vince Lombardi


No comments:

Post a Comment