***NOTICE - My blog has moved. You can continue to find my blog postings over at www.tylerrobbinsfitness.com ***

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Day 75 - More on Barefoot Running


A noteworthy article in Science Daily today regarding barefoot running discusses the benefits gained from barefoot running. What the article has to say:


For those of you who have been following my blog, you should know that I have been transitioning to 'barefoot running' this year to help prep me for Warrior Dash and Tough Mudder. I have read and heard about barefoot running for some time now, but finally decided to give it a shot after competing in Warrior Dash last year.

One of the first obstacles I encountered at Warrior Dash last year was a giant mud pit. Needless to say that making my way through said mud pit, both of my feet (with running shoes on) became encased in mud making the rest of the race course that much more difficult!

Anyways, I always felt that no shoes at all would probably be best to compete in some of these 'mud runs' but because of certain dangers on the course, have decided to pick up a pair of Vibram Five Fingers to practice with, and compete in.

I can honestly say that I have already noticed a major difference in my running. I will be looking to do a full review and analysis of not only the Vibrams, but also barefoot running later this year after I have completed my events, but I would like to give some early assessments as well.

From the first time I went running 'barefoot', I immediately noticed a difference in my running stride. Not only that, but I felt 'springier' and felt as if my running was much more effortless.

My running times have not necessarily improved, but they haven't gotten worse either. In fact, I believe that during my current adjustment period from shod running to barefoot running, I was expecting a greater drop in performance, which simply hasn't been the case.

As I adapt to barefoot running some more, I expect my performance to improve and my times to fall. Stay tuned as I progress!

Quote of the day:
"Do a little more each day than you think you possibly can."
-Lowell Thomas



No comments:

Post a Comment