***NOTICE - My blog has moved. You can continue to find my blog postings over at www.tylerrobbinsfitness.com ***

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Day 85 - Warrior Training End of Phase 3: Performance Phase


My performance phase from my Warrior Training schedule went very well. The goal of the performance phase is to take or build upon strength gains from the previous phase, and make the muscles more performance-based or functional.

I used the Post Activation Potentiation (P.A.P.) workouts from P90X2 to accomplish this goal. I will be focusing more on upper body performance during my 'bridge' program between Warrior Dash and Tough Mudder, as Warrior Dash has some more basic obstacles and is more running-focused. So, because of this, I was mostly focused on not only increasing my leg performance for running, but also preparing my feet for running in my Vibram Five Fingers.

I have mentioned this in previous posts that I am intending on running both the Warrior Dash and Tough Mudder in my Vibrams due to the amount of mud involved in both runs. I feel that the Vibrams will keep my feet as mud-free as possible.

I was able to get up to 8.5km in distance in my Vibrams. The Warrior Dash race is only 5km or so, but I am needing to prepare myself for the 18km distance of the Tough Mudder.

A notable adjustment here with my schedule was that I used P.A.P. Upper twice per week for the first 2 weeks of the Performance Phase, but then swapped the workouts out for P90X2 Chest, Back, and Balance as well as a modified Shoulders & Arms MC2 routine from Tony Horton's 1on1 series. I did this so that I could build more upper body strength rather than performance.

I now head into a recovery week leading to Warrior Dash on the 21st of July. During this week I plan on doing a couple light runs, some stretching, some foam rolling, and just general rest and recovery. I think many people oftentimes overlook the importance of recovery, and feel as though they need to work hard right up to an event. In actuality, you have to give your muscles time to actually repair and recover. This recovery period varies depending on the event you are training for, but a good rule of thumb is to allow 5-7 days recovery.

Last year when I ran Warrior Dash, I will admit that I was a bit cocky heading into the event, and did the "Base & Back" routine the very day before the event, which left my legs very fatigued the day of. This year I am not making the same mistake and plan on 'peaking' for the event at the right time.

I will be taking as much video as I can at this year's Warrior Dash and post it next week so stay tuned!

Also, let me know if you have any questions regarding any of the training that I haven't addressed here.

Quote of the day:
"Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking."
~ William B. Sprague

No comments:

Post a Comment